20th Century Fox is changing the release dates for its upcoming slate of movies scheduled to open across the next few years. Among the date changes are the next entry in the MAZE RUNNER franchise, Shane Black’s THE PREDATOR, and the long in development anime adaptation ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL.
It has been recently announced that the MAZE RUNNER actress Rosa Salazar has signed on to star in ALITA, with Robert Rodriguez directing. The film originally had James Cameron attached, but dropped out to direct the multiple AVATAR sequels. ALITA is scheduled to open on 20th July, one week ahead of Warner Bros. AQUAMAN.
MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE has been delayed nearly a year thanks to the severe injuries lead actor Dylan O’Brien received during filming. Originally slated to open on 17th February, 2017, the film will now open on 12th January, 2018.
Fox has also pushed forward Shane Black’s THE PREDATOR film by a month, starting hunting season on 9th February, 2018. THE PREDATOR will now open directly against FIFTY SHADES FREED in a battle of the sexes for Valentines Day. Fox has had great success this weekend for the past few years, with DEADPOOL and KINGSMAN performing beyond expectations.
In addition, Fox has set the release dates for numerous other projects, which you can find the updated release dates below:
- Morgan (directed by Luke Scott) – 2nd September, 2016
- Keeping Up with the Joneses (directed by Greg Mottola) – 21st October, 2016
- Rules Don’t Apply (directed by Warren Beatty) – 11th November, 2016
- A Cure for Wellness (directed by Gore Verbinski) – Moves from 24th March, 2017 to 27th February, 2017.
- Red Sparrow ( rumored to be directed by Francis Lawrence) – 10th November, 2017
- Murder on the Orient Express (directed by Kenneth Branagh) – Moves from 10th November, 2017 to 22nd November, 2017
- Untitled Fox/Marvel – Moves from 12th January, 2018 to 2nd March, 2018
- Untitled Fox/Marvel – Moves from 13th July, 2018 to 29th June, 2018
Fox has released no official comment on the reason behind the schedule change.